Learn how to enable Terraform sign on from the PingOne SSO console (IdP-initiated sign on) and direct Terraform login using PingOne SSO (SP-initiated sign on).
- Link PingOne to an identity repository containing the users requiring application access.
- Populate Terraform with at least one user to test access.
- You must have administrative access to PingOne and an administrative account with site-admin permission on Terraform.
Whenever <TFE HOSTNAME> is specified throughout this document, you should replace it with the actual value of your Terraform instance hostname.
Add the Terraform application to PingOne:
- In PingOne, go to .
Click the + icon next to the
Applications heading to add a new
In Select an Application Type, click
Web App. In Choose Connection
Type, click Configure next to
- Enter Terraform as the application name.
- Optional: Enter a suitable description.
- Optional: Upload an icon.
- Click Next.
- For Provide App Metadata, select Manually Enter.
- For ACS URLs, enter https://<TFE HOSTNAME>/users/saml/auth
- Choose the Signing Key to use and then click Download Signing Certificate to download it as X509 PEM (.crt).
- For Entity ID, enter https://<TFE HOSTNAME>/users/saml/metadata
- Leave SLO Endpoint and SLO Response Endpoint blank. Terraform does not support single logout (SLO).
- In the Subject NameID Format list, select urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.1:nameid-format:emailAddress.
- Set a suitable value for Assertion Validity Duration (in seconds). A value of 300 seconds is typical.
Click Save and Continue.
Terraform by default will generate a Username when an account is first created upon initial SSO, and this is based upon the user email address.
If you want to dictate the Username created for
a user, you can include the Username attribute in
the security assertion. You can include the
MemberOF attribute to automatically add users
to specific Teams in the Terraform platform.
Configure which PingOne User Attribute to map to each of
these Terraform attributes.
- Click Save and Close.
- Enable user access to this new application by moving the toggle to the right.
On the Configuration tab of the newly created
Terraform application, copy and save the Issuer
ID and Initiate Single Sign-On
URL values. You will use these for configuring SAML on
Add PingOne as an identity
provider (IdP) to Terraform:
- Go to https://<TFE_HOSTNAME>/app/admin/saml and sign on with an administrator account that has site-admin permissions.
- Paste the Initiate Single Sign-On URL value that you saved previously into the Single Sign-On URL field.
- Open the .crt file that downloaded previously in a text editor and copy and paste the entire contents into the IDP Certificate field.
- Click Save SAML settings.
Test the PingOne IdP
Go to the PingOne
application portal and sign on with a user account.
You can find the PingOne Application Portal URL in .
Click the Terraform icon.
You're redirected and presented with a PingOne sign on prompt.
Enter your PingOne
username and password.
After successful authentication, you're redirected back to Terraform as a signed-on user.
- Go to the PingOne application portal and sign on with a user account.