This release of the PingDirectoryProxy Server addresses critical issues from earlier versions. Update all affected servers appropriately.
These are new features for this release of the PingDirectoryProxy Server:
- Better insight to server health and the performance of connected applications. Administrators can now push metrics to application insight and monitoring applications such as Splunk using two new methods. A new StatsD monitoring endpoint pushes metrics to StatsD-compatible services. Also, the periodic stats logger has been updated to use JSON-format log files, greatly simplifying the use of log forwarding tools like Splunk's Universal Forwarder or Elastic's FileBeats.
- Better support by Directory Proxy Server for orchestrated Directory Server clusters in automated environments like Kubernetes or AWS EC2 Auto Scaling. Administrators can connect the topology of a PingDirectoryProxy Server cluster to the topology of a PingDirectory Server cluster in order to automatically adapt to cluster changes within the PingDirectory Server cluster. This greatly simplifies the configuration management of PingDirectoryProxy Server when PingDirectory Server clusters are being added, removed, or replaced by automated infrastructure orchestrators.
- Use Server Profiles to reduce risk and improve consistency following the DevOps principle of infrastructure-as-code. Administrators can export the configuration of the PingDirectoryProxy Server server to a directory of text files called a Server Profile, track changes to these files in version control like Git, and install new instances of PingDirectoryProxy Server or update existing instances of Directory Proxy Server from a Server Profile. Server Profiles support variable substitution in order to remove the settings unique to each pre-production or production environment from the Server Profile that is stored in version control.
The following are known issues in the current version of the PingDirectoryProxy Server:
- The following are suggested solutions for problems with slow DNS:
- Maintain a connection pool in the client app rather than opening new connections for each bind.
- Add appropriate records, including PTR records, to DNS.
options timeout:1in the /etc/resolv.conf file and/or
- If IPv6 requests specifically are causing issues, add
start-server.java-argsline in Directory Server’s config/java.properties file, run
bin/dsjavaproperties, and restart the server to stop the issuance of IPv6 PTR requests.
Some server tools, such as
rebuild-index, will fail with errors if they are run with an encrypted tools.properties file.
Workaround: Add the
--noPropertiesFileargument to the server tools to prevent them from pulling information from the encrypted file.
- The working directory value used by exec tasks is not implemented for recurring exec tasks.
Deploying the Admin Console to an external container using JDK 11 requires downloading the following dependencies and making them available at runtime (for example, by copying them to the WEB-INF/lib directory of the exploded WAR file).
- groupId:jakarta.xml.bind, artifactId:jakarta.xml.bind-api, version:2.3.2
- groupId:org.glassfish.jaxb, artifactId:jaxb-runtime, version:2.3.2
The following issues have been resolved with this release of the PingDirectoryProxy Server:
|DS-37881||The PingFederate Access Token Validator will now refresh its cached value of the
PingFederate server's token introspection endpoint. A new attribute,
|DS-37955||To support multiple trace loggers, each trace logger now has its own resource key,
which is shown in the
|DS-38053||The JWT Access Token Validator no longer requires a restart after a change to one of its signing certificates.|
|DS-38777||Added support for updating the server version during
|DS-38832||Fixed an issue that could cause the server to leak a small amount of memory each time it failed to establish an LDAP connection to another server.|
Updated the PBKDF2 password storage scheme to add support for variants that use the 256-bit, 384-bit, and 512-bit SHA-2 digest algorithms. At present, the SHA-1 variant remains the default to preserve backward compatibility with older versions.
Also, in accordance with the recommendations in NIST SP 800-63B, we have increased the default iteration count from 4096 to 10,000, and the default salt length from 64 bits to 128 bits.
|DS-39155||Updated the default value for
Updated the Groovy scripting language version to 2.5.7. For a list of changes, visit groovy-lang.org and view the Groovy 2.5 release notes.
As of this release, only the core Groovy runtime and the groovy-json module are bundled with the server. To deploy a Groovy-scripted Server SDK extension that requires a Groovy module not bundled with the server, such as groovy-xml or groovy-sql, download the appropriate jar file from groovy-lang.org and place it in the server's lib/extensions directory.
|DS-39321||Added support for PingDirectoryProxy Server to the
Removed the legacy product-specific scripts for starting and stopping the server. These include:
These legacy scripts had been deprecated for several releases in favor of the more general start-server and stop-server scripts, and they displayed a warning message about their upcoming removal if they were invoked.
If you still have dependencies on these legacy product-specific scripts, you will need to update them to reference the general start-server and stop-server scripts instead. If it is not feasible to update these references immediately, you may create symbolic links that use the legacy script names and point at the start-server and stop-server scripts.
|DS-39347||Fixed an issue where Delegated Admin would not work properly if the name of the REST Resource Type was not the same as the resource endpoint.|
|DS-39373||Preserve the privileges that are explicitly set on the admin user when migrating from the admin backend to the topology registry.|
|DS-39518||Fixed an issue in which escaped characters in schema extensions may not be handled
properly. If used in attribute type constraints (such as
Delegated Admin enhancements for constructed attributes.
|DS-39592||HTTP External Servers have a new attribute,
|DS-39603||Fixed an issue where Server SDK extensions could not be configured by dsconfig batch files in the manage-profile tool.|
|DS-39626, DS-40357||The trace log publisher will now record an access token's scopes after the token is successfully validated.|
|DS-39654||Added support for the
|DS-39693||Fixed an issue where Delegated Admin search results were truncated and invalid upon encountering a Directory entry containing a Boolean or Integer syntax attribute whose values were invalid because they did not conform to the appropriate syntax. With this fix, the offending values are omitted from the results and a warning message is logged to the server errors log.|
|DS-39715||Updated the Server SDK to add support for sending email messages.|
|DS-39762||Added support for a "generate password" extended operation that can be used to request that the server generate one or more passwords that may be suggested as possible values when creating a new user or changing the password for an existing user.|
|DS-39857||Added the StatsD monitoring endpoint. When the Stats Collector Plugin is enabled, this endpoint sends metric data from the server in StatsD format to the configured destination.|
|DS-39908||Added a new JVM-default trust manager provider that can be used to automatically trust any certificate signed by an authority included in the JVM's default set of trusted issuers. Also, updated other trust manager providers to offer an option to use the JVM-default trust addition to the trust that they normally provide.|
|DS-40114||Added a new
|DS-40249||Fixed an issue where an LDAP search across entry-balanced server sets sometimes returned 0 (success) even though all servers in one of the sets failed with a timeout. The search should return 52 (unavailable) in this situation.|
|DS-40252||Update the PingDirectoryProxy Server setup process to support joining an existing Ping Identity Platform topology.|
|DS-40255, DS-40256, DS-40257||Updated the fewest operations and failover load-balancing algorithms to support automatically discovering the set of backend Directory Server instances from the topology registry.|
|DS-40274||Updated the proxy to check if the proxy's backend has been sufficiently initialized prior to performing a health check.|
|DS-40354||Fixed a problem with
|DS-40366||Fixed an issue where the server was attempting to connect by an IP address rather than a hostname when DNS lookup was successful.|
|DS-40377||Added support for logging to a JSON file in the Periodic Stats Logger Plugin.|
|DS-40517||Added metrics for status summary, replication database, and LDAP changelog to the Stats Collector Plugin.|
|DS-40556||Added support for specifying a working directory for exec tasks.|