Object classes are sets of related information objects that form entries in a directory information tree (DIT).
The PingDirectory server uses the schema to do the following:
- Define the entries.
- Specify the position of the entries in a DIT.
- Control the operations of the server.
You can also extend the schema by adding your own schema definitions.
Object classes have the following general properties:
- Object classes must have a globally unique name or identifier.
- Object classes specify the required and allowed attributes in an entry.
- Object classes can inherit the properties and the set of allowed attributes from its parent object classes, which might also be part of a hierarchical chain derived from the top abstract object class.
- Object classes that are defined in the PingDirectory
server can be searched using the
The PingDirectory server also has a special entry called the subschema subentry, which provides information about the available schema elements on the server.