When the PingDirectory server is configured with an LDAP external server template, either the fewest operations algorithm or the failover load-balancing algorithm uses the topology registry to determine which PingDirectory server instances should be accessible through the server.
To accomplish this, the load-balancing algorithm searches for
directory-server-instance objects with a
load-balancing-algorithm-name property that matches the name of the
load-balancing algorithm. For example, in the following sample configuration, the
load-balancing algorithms are named
dc_example_dc_com-failover, so if you want a PingDirectory server instance to be accessible through those
load-balancing algorithms, add those values to the
load-balancing-algorithm-name property in the topology registry’s
entry for that instance. You can do this with a configuration change similar to the
dsconfig set-server-instance-prop \ --instance-name ds1.example.com:636 \ --add load-balancing-algorithm-name:dc_example_dc_com-fewest-operations \ --add load-balancing-algorithm-name:dc_example_dc_com-failover
The PingDirectoryProxy Server automatically detects and reacts to applicable changes in the topology registry. This includes the following:
- Adding a new PingDirectory server instance to the topology
- If this instance has any
load-balancing-algorithm-namevalues that match the names of any load-balancing algorithms that are configured for automatic backend server discovery, the new instance is immediately eligible to process client requests as soon as the instanced satisfies all of the configured health checks.
- Removing an existing PingDirectory server instance
- If this instance was associated with any load-balancing algorithms, then it is no longer eligible to receive requests through these load-balancing algorithms.
- Modifying an existing PingDirectory server instance to add
one or more values to the
- If any of the new values matches the name of any of the configured load-balancing algorithms, the instance is immediately eligible to process client requests.
- Modifying an existing PingDirectory server instance to remove
one or more values from the
- If any of the removed values matches the name of any of the configured load-balancing algorithms, then the instance is no longer eligible to receive requests through these load-balancing algorithms.