PingDirectory servers enable configuring log rotation and log retention policies.
When any retention limit is reached, the server removes the oldest archived log prior to creating a new log. Log retention is only effective if a log rotation policy is in place.
A new log publisher must have at least one log retention policy configured. The following policies are available:
- File Count Retention policy
- Sets the number of log files for the server to retain. The default file count is 10 logs. If the file count is set to 1, the log will continue to grow indefinitely without being rotated.
- Free Disk Space Retention policy
- Sets the minimum amount of free disk space. The default free disk space is 500 MB.
- Size Limit Retention policy
- Sets the maximum size of the combined archived logs. The default size limit is 500 MB.
- Custom Retention policy
- Create a new retention policy that meets the server’s requirements. This will require developing custom code to implement the desired log retention policy.
- Never Delete Retention policy
- Used in a rare event that does not require log deletion.
When a rotation limit is reached, the server rotates the current log and starts a new log. A new log publisher must have at least one log rotation policy configured. The following policies are available:
- Time Limit Rotation policy
- Rotates the log based on the length of time since the last rotation. Default implementations are provided for rotation every 24 hours and every seven days.
- Fixed Time Rotation policy
- Rotates the logs every day at a specified time (based on 24-hour). The default time is 2359.
- Size Limit Rotation policy
- Rotates the logs when the file reaches the maximum size. The default size limit is 100 MB.
- Never Rotate policy
- Used in a rare event that does not require log rotation.