For PingFederate maintenance releases, you have the option to update your installation using the incremental update package. This in-place update method lets you replace and merge only the files that have changed.
- Ensure your installation is running PingFederate 10.0.x, where "x" represents an older maintenance release of 10.0.
- If you're using AWS CloudHSM, update the CloudHSM client to version 3.0.
- Make a backup copy of the PingFederate home directory.
You can incrementally update your PingFederate 10.0 installation to the latest 10.0 maintenance release. For example, if you are on PingFederate 10.0.1 and the latest maintenance release is version 10.0.4, you can use the in-place update method to update your installation to version 10.0.4.
The in-place update doesn't contain files from Ping Identity integration kits. You can upgrade an integration kit manually by downloading the latest kit from the PingFederate Downloads page's Add-ons tab and following the instructions provided by the kit's documentation.
You cannot use the in-place update method to upgrade an older version of PingFederate, such as 8.4.4 or 9.3.3, to version 10.0.x. For those older versions, you must use the standard upgrade method for your platform described in PingFederate Upgrade Guide.
The in-place update method involves manual modification of PingFederate files. If you're not comfortable moving and editing these files, then instead use the standard upgrade method for your platform described in PingFederate Upgrade Guide.
If your installation includes a cluster, perform the following procedure on each node starting with the administrative console node.
- Go to the PingFederate Previous Releases page on the Ping Identity website.
- In the PingFederate 10.0.x section, download the maintenance in-place update and extract its contents from the .zip file.
- Stop PingFederate.
Copy the files in the in-place update's pingfederate
directory and paste them into their corresponding locations in your current
PingFederate installation, replacing the old files.
For example, if the in-place update contains pingfederate/server/default/lib/pf-protocolengine.jar, copy the pf-protocolengine.jar file to the same location in your PingFederate installation: <pf_install>/pingfederate/server/default/lib.
- For each jetty*patch5.jar file that you added to the <pf_install>/pingfederate/server/default/lib directory in the previous step, remove the corresponding jetty*patch4.jar file.
Compare each file in the in-place update's merge_required
directory with the version of the file in your current PingFederate installation
and manually merge the changes into the file in your current installation.
For example, if the in-place update contains merge_required/pingfederate/server/default/conf/language-packs/pingfederate-messages.properties, copy the changes in the new version into the pingfederate-messages.properties file in your PingFederate installation.
- Start PingFederate.