You must install a Java runtime on your server before running PingFederate. PingFederate has been tested in the following Java environments:
- Amazon Corretto 11
- Amazon Corretto 8
- OpenJDK 11
- Oracle Java SE Development Kit 11 LTS
- Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment (Server JRE) 8
Ping Identity Java Support Policy applies. Refer to this article for more information.
Due to the import restrictions of some countries, Oracle Server JRE (Java SE Runtime Environment) 8 has built-in restrictions on available cryptographic strength (key size). To use larger key sizes, the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) "unlimited strength" jurisdiction policy must be enabled. For more information, see the Java 8 release notes from Oracle (www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8u151-relnotes-3850493.html).
For Oracle Java SE Development Kit 11, the JCE jurisdiction policy defaults to unlimited strength. For more information, see the Oracle JDK Migration Guide (docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/migrate/).
- Download and install a Java runtime.
Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to the Java
installation directory path and add its bin directory to
the PATH environment variable.
If you intend to use the PingFederate installer for Windows or run PingFederate as a service, you must set the JAVA_HOME variable and modify path variable at the system level; otherwise, you have the options to set the variables at either the system or user level.CAUTION:
When running PingFederate for Windows, switching the Java version from 8 to 11 (or the reverse) will prevent the service from running, and you will not be able to start PingFederate. The problem occurs because garbage collection logging configuration arguments that are used by Java 8 are incompatible with those used by Java 11.
If you need to switch Java versions:
- De-register the PingFederate service by running <pf_install>\pingfederate\sbin\win-x86-64\uninstall-service.bat.
- Install the new Java version and update the JAVA_HOME and PATH environment variables accordingly.
- Register the PingFederate service by running <pf_install>\pingfederate\sbin\win-x86-64\install-service.bat.