PingFederate requires a Java runtime to be installed on your server.
- Amazon Corretto 11
- Amazon Corretto 8
- OpenJDK 11
- Oracle Java SE Development Kit 11 LTS
- Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment (Server JRE) 8
Ping Identity Java Support Policy applies. For more information, see Java Support Policy in the Ping Identity Knowledge Base.
Due to the import restrictions of some countries, Oracle Server Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 8 has built-in restrictions on available cryptographic strength (key size). To use larger key sizes, enable the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) unlimited strength jurisdiction policy. For more information, see the Java 8 release notes in Oracle's documentation.
For Oracle Java SE Development Kit 11, the JCE jurisdiction policy defaults to unlimited strength. For more information, see the Oracle JDK Migration Guide in Oracle's documentation.
- Download and install a Java runtime.
Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to the Java installation
directory path and add its bin directory to the
PATH environment variable.
If you intend to use the PingFederate installer for Windows or run PingFederate as a service, you must set the JAVA_HOME environment variable and modify the PATH environment variable at the system level. If you are not using the PingFederate installer or running PingFederate as a service, you can set the variables at either the system or user level.CAUTION:
When running PingFederate for Windows, switching the Java version from 8 to 11 (or the reverse) will prevent the service from running, and you will not be able to start PingFederate. The problem occurs because garbage collection logging configuration arguments that are used by Java 8 are incompatible with those used by Java 11.
To change Java versions:
- Run <pf_install>\pingfederate\sbin\win-x86-64\uninstall-service.bat to de-register the PingFederate service.
- Install the new Java version and update the JAVA_HOME and PATH environment variables.
- Run <pf_install>\pingfederate\sbin\win-x86-64\install-service.bat to register the PingFederate service.