If you used the server distribution .zip file to install the previous version of PingFederate on Windows, you must use the Upgrade Utility to upgrade to the current version of PingFederate.
Upgrade results are contained in the upgrade.log file, which is located in <pf_install_target>\pingfederate\upgrade\log.
If you are upgrading a clustered PingFederate environment, start with the console node, and then follow the additional steps to upgrade the engine nodes.
- Download the latest version of the PingFederate Server distribution .zip file from the Ping Identity website.
- Extract the distribution.zip file into the target installation directory.
- Stop PingFederate.
At the command prompt, change the current directory to
within the target installation and enter the following command.
upgrade <pf_install_source> [-l <newPingFederateLicense>] [-c]
The command prompt displays messages indicating upgrade progress. The process is complete when the following message appears.
- The full or relative path of the base directory where the existing PingFederate
software (pingfederate) is installed.Note:
The pingfederate subdirectory must exist by that name for the Upgrade Utility to function correctly.
- The optional path and file name of the license to use for the upgraded PingFederate version.
If your current license is valid, the Upgrade Utility automatically copies it from the source installation to the target installation, and you do not need to specify the
If your license is not valid, obtain a valid license file and specify its path and file name for this parameter.
- The optional parameter to run the tool in custom mode, which allows you to override newer default security settings (if any) and to upgrade the program files for the OpenToken Adapter.
Upgrade completed with [N] errors and [N] warnings
If there are errors, scroll up the command window to see them and then correct the indicated problems. Errors during the upgrade should be rare but might include problems such as missing or malformed configuration files in the source installation. The messages are also logged to the upgrade.log file in the Upgrade Utility base directory.
If you are upgrading a clustered PingFederate environment, repeat from step
1 to upgrade PingFederate on each engine node.
End users might experience disruptions while you upgrade your PingFederate environment.
Start the new PingFederate installation and open the administrative
If you are upgrading a clustered PingFederate environment, start the new PingFederate instance on the console node.
If you are upgrading a clustered PingFederate environment:
- Start the new installation on each engine node, and then ensure all nodes are shown on the window.
- Click Replicate Configuration on the Cluster Management window.
If PingFederate is running as a service, re-install the service.
For a clustered PingFederate environment, re-install the PingFederate service on all nodes.
- Remove the existing PingFederate service (see Uninstalling PingFederate from a Windows server).
- Install the new PingFederate service (see Installing PingFederate service on Windows manually).
The upgrade utility automatically merges, migrates, and copies the language packs'
.properties files into the upgraded PingFederate
installation. Verify the language packs in the upgrade installation by looking at the
.properties files located in the upgraded
- Standard .properties files include pingfederate-email-messages.properties, pingfederate-messages.properties, and pingfederate-sms-messages.properties. During upgrade, these files are migrated and merged into the upgraded PingFederate installation.
- Localized .properties files (for example, pingfederate-messages_fr_CA.properties), are also migrated and merged into the upgraded PingFederate installation.
- All other .properties files in <pf_install>\pingfederate\server\default\conf\language-packs that do not fit the previous two criteria are copied (not merged) into the upgraded PingFederate installation.