You can install PingFederate on a Windows system using the installer for Windows or the distribution .zip file. Using the installer for Windows is the preferred method.
- Request a license key through the Ping Identity licensing page.
- Ensure your are logged on to your system with sufficient privileges to install and run an application.
- Verify that you have installed the Java runtime and that you have set the required environment variables correctly. For more information, see Installing Java in the PingFederate Server documentation.
Install PingFederate using the installer for Windows or the distribution
.zip file as described in the following table.
Installation medium Steps PingFederate installer for Windows To install PingFederate using the installer for Windows:
- Download the PingFederate installer for Windows from the Ping Identity website.
- Double-click the .msi file to open the PingFederate Setup Wizard, and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
PingFederate is configured to run as a service and starts automatically at the end of the installation process.Note:
The PingFederate installer for Windows installs only one instance of PingFederate on a Windows server. If you need additional PingFederate instances on the same Windows server, install them using the distribution .zip file.
You must manually configure various port settings in the <pf_install>/pingfederate/bin/run.properties file for each instance to avoid port conflicts.
Distribution .zip file To install PingFederate using the distribution .zip file:
- Download the distribution .zip file from the Ping Identity website. The distribution .zip file is identical for both Windows and Linux.
- Extract the file into an installation directory.
If you have installed PingFederate by extracting the distribution
.zip file, start PingFederate manually by running the
Wait for the script to finish—the startup process completes when this message appears near the end of the sequence:
To configure PingFederate to run as a service, follow the steps in Installing PingFederate service on Windows manually in the PingFederate Server documentation.CAUTION:
When running PingFederate for Windows, switching the Java version from 8 to 11 (or the reverse) will prevent the service from running, and you will not be able to start PingFederate. The problem occurs because garbage collection logging configuration arguments that are used by Java 8 are incompatible with those used by Java 11.
To change Java versions:
- Run <pf_install>\pingfederate\sbin\win-x86-64\uninstall-service.bat to de-register the PingFederate service.
- Install the new Java version and update the JAVA_HOME and PATH environment variables.
- Run <pf_install>\pingfederate\sbin\win-x86-64\install-service.bat to register the PingFederate service.
If your organization plans to manage keys and certificates using a hardware security module (HSM), see Supported hardware security modules.