The PingID desktop app is a one-time passcode (OTP) generator and can be installed on a PC or Mac. The PingID desktop app works similarly to the PingID mobile app's OTP generator.
The PingID desktop app supports an option to secure the OTP window with either a 4-digit or 6-digit PIN code. This elevates the security level by preventing unauthorized users from accessing the PingID OTP on an unlocked workstation.
The PingID desktop app is available for the following platforms and versions:
Microsoft Windows 10 and 11
Microsoft Windows Server 2016 and 2019
- Apple Mac OS X 11+Important:
The PingID desktop app does not run on an Apple Mac OSX virtual machine (VM).
The PingID desktop app requires a minimum of 155 MB RAM and 212 MB free disc space.
An end user can authenticate in both online and offline modes with the PingID desktop app OTP generator. Users can only pair devices in online mode. The desktop app must be online for a change in PIN configuration to take effect, such as enabling or disabling the PIN or changing its length.
For information about the user experience, see PingID End User Guide.
- Different end users using the same PC have different PingID accounts and undergo a unique authentication process. Each end user only sees their own organizations.
- When a user is registered to two different organizations, each organization's administrators can only see the details of their own organization's end users.
- Roaming user profiles:
- Roaming user profiles are available from version 1.5.3 for the Windows desktop app.
- To enable roaming user profiles, users must be unpaired and any previous installation of the desktop app must be uninstalled.
- All terminals available for roaming users must have the desktop app installed with user roaming profiles support enabled.