Before you can set up GitHub as an external IdP, you must create an application on GitHub. GitHub will generate a Client ID and Client Secret for the application. For more information, see https://docs.github.com/en/developers/apps/creating-an-oauth-app.
Go to GitHub at https://github.com/.
If you don’t have a GitHub account, you can create one now.
- In the upper right, click your profile photo, and then click Settings.
- On the left, click Developer Settings.
- On the left, click OAuth Apps.
Click the New OAuth App button.
If you haven’t created an app before, you'll see the button as Register a new application.
Enter the following:
- Application name: The display name for the application.
- Homepage URL: The full URL to your application home page.
- Application description: A description for your application that all users will see.
- Authorization callback URL: The path in your application that users are redirected to after they have authenticated with GitHub. Leave this value blank for now.
- Leave the GitHub page open to return later and enter the Authorization callback URL after you have created the application in PingOne.