The PingDirectory Server provides an extensive feature-rich set of tools to meet a variety of production needs.
- Full LDAP version 3 implementation
- The PingDirectory Server fully supports LDAPv3, which supports the Request For Comments (RFCs) specified in the protocol. The Directory Server provides a feature-rich solution that supports the core LDAPv3 protocol in addition to server-specific controls and extended operations.
- High availability
- The PingDirectory Server supports N-way multi-primary replication that eliminates single points of failure and ensures high availability for a networked topology. The PingDirectory Server allows you to store data across multiple machines and disk partitions for fast replication. The PingDirectory Server supports replication in entry-balancing proxy server deployments.
- Administration tools
- The PingDirectory Server provides a full set of
command-line tools, an administrative console, and a Java-based setup tool to
configure, monitor, and manage any part of the
The PingDirectory Server has a task-based subsystem that provides automated scheduling of basic functions, such as:
The set of utilities includes a troubleshooting support tool that aggregates system metrics into a .zip file, which administrators can send to your authorized support provider for analysis.
- Self-service account manager application
- The Self Service Account Manager project, hosted at https://github.com/pingidentity/ssam, is a customizable web application allowing users to perform their own account registration, profile updates, and password changes. The project is for testing and development purposes only and is not a supported application.
- Delegated admin application
identities stored in the PingDirectory Server. The
application provides delegated administration of identities
- Help desk or customer service representatives initiating a password reset and unlock
- An employee in HR updating an address stored within another employee profile
- An application administrator updating identity attributes or group membership to allow application single sign-on (SSO) access.
- Security mechanisms
- The PingDirectory Server provides extensive
security mechanisms to protect data and prevent unauthorized
Access control list (ACL) instructions are available down to
the attribute value level and can be stored within each
The PingDirectory Server allows connections over SSL through an encrypted communication tunnel. Clients can also use the StartTLS extended operation over standard, non-encrypted ports. Other security features include:
- A privilege subsystem for fine-grained granting of rights
- A password policy subsystem that allows configurable password validators and storage schemes
- SASL authentication mechanisms to secure data integrity, such as:
The PingDirectory Server supports various providers and mappers for certificate-based authentication in addition to the ability to encrypt specific entries or sensitive attributes. For more information, see the PingDirectory Server Security Guide.
- Monitoring and notifications
- The PingDirectory Server supports monitoring
- PingDataMetrics Server
- The Administrative Console
Administrators can track the response times for LDAP operations using a monitoring histogram as well as record performance statistics down to sub-second granularity. The PingDirectory Server supports configurable notifications, auditing, and logging subsystems with filtered logging capabilities.
- Powerful LDAP SDK
- The PingDirectory Server is based on a
feature-rich LDAP SDK for Java, designed by Ping Identity.
The LDAP SDK is a Java API standard that
overcomes the limitations of the Java Naming and Directory Interface (JNDI) model.
For example, JNDI does not address the use of LDAP controls and extended
operations. The LDAP SDK for Java provides support for controls and extended
operations to leverage Ping Identity’s extensible
architecture for their applications.Note:
For more information on the LDAP SDK for Java, see http://www.LDAP.com.
- System for Cross-domain Identity Management (SCIM) extension
- The PingDirectory Server provides a SCIM servlet extension to facilitate moving users to, from, and between cloud-based software as a service (SaaS) applications in a secure and fast manner.
- Server SDK
- Ping Identity
provides the Server SDK, which is a library of Java packages, classes, and build
tools to help in-house or third-party developers create client extensions for:
- PingDataSync Server
The servers have a highly extensible and scalable architecture with multiple plugin points for your customization needs. The Server SDK provides APIs to alter the behavior of each server's components without affecting its code base.