Page created: 15 Jul 2022 |
Page updated: 20 Jan 2023
The PingDirectory server provides tools that can be used to access content in access and error log files.
search-logs tool to search for content in log
files. This tool provides grep-like support for searching log files, but it offers
the a number of additional benefits, including:
- It can automatically trace backward through rotated log files to find matching records in older log files.
- It supports searching log files that are compressed and encrypted.
- It can handle multi-line messages.
- It allows you to specify start and end times for the messages to match.
summarize-access-log tool to examine one or more
access log files and produce a plain-text report of the log data that they contain.
The output can include:
- The length of time covered by the log files that were examined
- The number of connections that were established and disconnected
- The addresses of the clients that most frequently connected to the server
- The average rate of connects and disconnects per second
- The most common TLS protocols and cipher suites
- The number of operations processed, both overall and by operation type
- The average rate of operations processed per second, both overall and by operation type
- The average duration of operations processed, both overall and by operation type
- The breakdown of operation processing times into sets of predefined buckets, ranging from less than one millisecond to over one minute
- A breakdown of the most common result codes for each type of operation and their relative frequencies
- The most common authentication mechanisms
- The most common bind distinguished names (DNs) for successful and failed bind attempts
- The most common types of extended operations processed and their relative frequencies
- The number of unindexed search operations processed and the most common types of filters used when processing unindexed searches
- The most common base DNs for searches with non-baseObject scopes
- The relative frequencies for each search scope
- The most common types of search filters used and their relative frequencies
- The most common types of filters for searches returning zero, one, and multiple entries
- Filters used for searches that took the longest to complete
summarize-access-log tool supports operating on log files that
are compressed and encrypted. It also attempts to anonymize sensitive information in
the output by replacing attribute values with placeholders.