PingID multi-factor authentication (MFA) is a strong authentication solution that allows you to authenticate to your app, application portal, or desktop machine using additional authentication methods, such as your mobile device, to enhance security and provide ease of access to your apps.
Use PingID to pair your account details with a device, such as a mobile device, email address, or a YubiKey hard token, so you can securely authenticate to access your account, app, or device.
See also What is pairing?
When you sign on to your account, PingID sends an authentication notification to your device. Authenticate on your device when prompted or enter the OTP into your web browser.
PingID can authenticate your access using the following methods:
- PingID mobile app on your iOS or Android device: Authenticate using the PingID mobile app with swipe, biometrics authentication, Apple Watch, or an OTP generated by the app.
- PingID Desktop app: Open the app on your Windows PC or Mac and generate an OTP.
- Windows Hello: If your Windows Hello device supports FIDO2 biometrics, use it to access your account or apps through a web browser using PingID authentication.
- Apple Mac Touch ID: If your Apple Mac machine supports FIDO2 platform biometrics, use it to access your account or apps through a web browser using PingID authentication.
- iOS biometrics: If your iPhone or iPad supports FIDO2 biometrics, use Touch ID or Face ID to access your account or apps through a web browser using PingID authentication.
- Android biometrics: If your Android device supports FIDO2 biometrics, use it to access your account or apps through a web browser using PingID authentication.
- Security key: Use your FIDO2-compliant security key to authenticate using PingID mobile app.
- Authenticator app: Generate an OTP using an authenticator app, such as Google Authenticator.
- YubiKey: Connect your YubiKey to your Windows PC or Mac and then tap to generate an OTP.
- SMS or voice: Receive an OTP by SMS or voice call.
- Email: Receive an OTP by email.
- Hardware token: Generate an OTP using your hardware token
PingID can be used to securely access the following resources:
- Web: Access your account or app using a web browser.
- VPN: Access your company's VPN.
- Windows login: Access your Windows login machine.
- Mac login: Access your Mac machine.
The authentication methods available to you, as well as the types of resources you can access are defined by your organization's policy.